Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Development Environment Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonnieJohnson

Programmer
Apr 16, 2001
US
I am brand new to SharePoint. I had my IT team to set me up a box to inatall the development environment so I could play around with SharePoint. I went through the Intall Wizard and when I get to the end I cannot get the Admin Webpage to load.

What could I have done wrong?

Any help would be wonderful. Thanks.

ProDev, Builders of Affordable Software Applications
Visit me at ==>
May God bless you beyond your imagination!!!

Thanks for replying. Yes it is SharePoint 2010.

1. Ran PrerequisiteInstaller.exe to initialize the system prior to installing SharePoint services.
2. Ran setup.exe on the CD to set up the SharePoint server.
3. Ran SharePoint configuration wizard (setup.exe on the Installation CD).
4. After configuration wizard ended the SharePoint website would not come up. Believe the issue may be with a SQL Server 2008 KB 970315 x64 installation that needs to happen during the configuration.

Visit me at ==>

Does Central Administration come up?
---You can find the link in the Start menu.

Are the SharePoint Services running?
---Server Manager --> Configuration --> Services

Any of the accounts used by SharePoint locked?

Thanks ehaze, I will check that now.

Visit me at ==>

@ehaze

No, Central Administration does not come up. The URL is and I get a message of "Inernet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

Under Configuartion Services I see...

SharePoint 2010 Administration
SharePoint 2010 Timer
SharePoint 2010 Tracing
SharePoint 2010 User Code Host
SharePoint 2010 VSS Writer
SharePoint 2010 Foundation Search V4
SharePoint 2010 Server Search 14

All say started under the status except for VSS Writer.

Thanks again for asking.

Visit me at ==>

Make sure the Application Pools are running?
--- Serve Manager -> Roles -> Web Server -> Internet Information Services -> Application Pools -> SharePoint...

Check SQL and make sure the databases were created.
--- You should see a few databases related to SharePoint. SharePoint, WSS....

While in SQL, check the permissions for the SharePoint account you used. The account needs dbcreator and securityadmin roles.

great guide on installing SharePoint 2010:

Ok.

I will try these two things right away. Thanks again for your time.

I may have missed running a fix that was in the step after installing share point and running the configuration wizard. It is SQL Server 2008 KB 970315 x64.

Where can I download it?

Visit me at ==>

I had to install Enterprise Manager before I could see the databases. They are there.

I did go to the pools and noticed the SharePoint Web Services Root was not running and started it. But the Central Administration would still not come up.

I can not download the file (kb 970315) because apparently I do not have administrative rights to the machine. Actually, it looks like javascript is not enabled on IE and it won't let me download bacause of that. I will have them to adjust that.

Maybe those permissions is what my problem is. I had our IT team build this machine for development so I can get familiar with SharePoint.

My staff will be taking some classes in a couple of weeks and and wanted a development envirionment for them to play with.

Thanks for all your help. I knew this wasn't goint to be as easy as clicking some buttons on a wizard. [bigsmile]

Visit me at ==>

It is fixed. Thanks for all your help. It was actually security. I did not have full admin rights on the machine and we thought I did. Something so simple. Anyway, thanks for everything. You gave me a lot to work with and some great trouble shooting tips for when we do the real thing.

Visit me at ==>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back