Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up .DAT to .MAN, but it keeps going back to .DAT?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopnDude

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2007
US
Almost exactly like the title says.

On my AD Server, I made a folder, shared it. Went to a local computer, deleted the user profile, logged in to create a fresh new one. Copied the user profile to a thumb drive, transported it to the Server. Changed "NTuser.DAT" to "NTuser.MAN" and changed permissions so no one could save anything to the desktop folder, documents, or download folders.

I setup the ".MAN" manually a few days ago. I went to check my settings and permissions. ".MAN" is now back to ".DAT" how the hell is it doing this, and should I be concerned?! Is it still a "Mandatory" profile even though the ".MAN" has turned back to ".DAT"?

Also having issue with Script's. Tried making a script to clean the 3 user desktops as such;

ECHO Y | DEL C:\"Documents and Settings"\nhpac\Desktop\*.* /s /q
ECHO Y | DEL C:\"Documents and Settings"\fapac\Desktop\*.* /s /q
ECHO Y | DEL C:\"Documents and Settings"\fwpac\Desktop\*.* /s /q

in a .bat file. I set it to run at start up, but this wont work due to the 3 specified users not being allowed to use "cmd.exe" so I specified a "Scheduled Task" under the "Computer" settings in Active Directory. Trying that out today, to see what happens if anything.

Why do I have this ^ in there?! Because the users are able to save to the Desktop, An I can't stop this in Active Directory. I set local permissions to deny this act, but after one or two restarts, the users are able to save to the desktop again. The same happens when I've freshly created "NTuser.DAT" for one of the three specified users. Reboot, log in as Admin, change ".DAT" to ".MAN" for the specified user. Then reboot, and log in. The ".MAN" somehow changes back to ".DAT" within a day or two.

Batch file no longer needed. I was able to go though, and strenuously set permission for only 3 users for the specified Mandatory profile stored on the server. Nothing is saved upon exit/log off of the machine/user. Everything goes right back to square one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back