Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up Cisco 3750 InterVlan routing and broadband routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkeneu

MIS
Sep 29, 2004
GB
Hello,

I'm new to switches and not sure if what I'm trying to do is possible?
I have a Cisco3750 and I configured 2 vlan's and enabled intervlan routing and it works perfectly.

I also have 2 broadband connections each with its own netgear 4 port hub.
I want to connect each of the router to a VLAN and the clients on that vlan to use that netgear router to reach the web,
BUT I still need the clients on the 2 vlans to talk to each other.

The inter vlan routing works because the clients have their default gateway set to the VLAN IP's 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1
I cant figure out how to get them to connect to the internet but still be able to talk to each other

Switch setup:
IP routing enabled

Vlan 2 IP : 192.168.1.1/24
Ports 2 -12 assigned

Vlan 3 IP : 192.168.0.1/24
ports 13-24 assigned

I would really appreciate any assistance if this is even possible?

Thank you

If your 3750 has IP Base image this may not be possible. Basically you need PBR (Policy Based Routing) where you would create route-maps to match source IPs in one of the subnets and define the next-hop. So, a default route on 3750 pointing to the 1st ISP would serve one of the internal subnets and the route-map will send all traffic from the second one via the other ISP. You will need to dedicate 2 separate interfaces to connect to the Netgear boxes. These can stay Layer 2 or you can make them Layer 3 interfaces, number them in separate small subnets, like /30.
Do not forget to exclude the other subnet as the destination in the ACL for the route-map or your inter-vlan traffic will not happen.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply, how do i check to see
if my switch has a ip base image?
I'm reading up on policy based routing now.

I have been reading about implementing your suggestion and just wanted to check " You will need to dedicate 2 separate interfaces to connect to the Netgear boxes"
So by interface you mean 2 ports on the switch ?

I have found this link and I think example 1 is what I'm trying to achieve:

Equal Access Example
The following example provides two sources with equal access to two different service providers.
Packets arriving on interface fastethernet 3/1 from the source 1.1.1.1 are sent to the router at 6.6.6.6 if
the router has no explicit route for the destination of the packet. Packets arriving from the source 2.2.2.2
are sent to the router at 7.7.7.7 if the router has no explicit route for the destination of the packet. All
other packets for which the router has no explicit route to the destination are discarded.
Switch (config)# access-list 1 permit ip 1.1.1.1
access-list 1 permit ip 1.1.1.1
!
interface fastethernet 3/1
ip policy route-map equal-access
!
route-map equal-access permit 10
match ip address 1
set ip default next-hop 6.6.6.6
route-map equal-access permit 20
match ip address 2
set ip default next-hop 7.7.7.7
route-map equal-access permit 30
set default interface null0

Looks close. Yes, I meant the 2 switch ports that connect your switch to the ISP routers. I have to correct myself - you will have to make the two ports in question Layer 3 interfaces (they won't have "switchport access"). As for IP base, do "sh ver". Alternatively you can just try putting "ip policy" under the interfaces. If it lets you do that, good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back