Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up/ changing user rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

smile11

Vendor
May 25, 2003
CA
Suddenly my daughter who has limited rights on the computer cannot access internet explorer. I tried setting up a new user name for her and that didn't work either. Then i tried changing her rights to administrator and now she has access to the internet.

The problem is, I don't want her to have admin rights. how can I fix this problem. please help.

It is not clear why her rights may have changed. Did you make any other changes in group policy settings, or registry permissions?

Assuming you did not, you can try this first:

Start, Run, cacls "c:\program files\internet explorer" /e /t /p users:c

If that brings no joy, try the first and if necessary the second of these repair methods: HOWTO Repair or Reinstall Internet Explorer

Hi there,

I tried running the c:/program thing and I got an error message. It says the C:/program does not exist.

This is what I did,

I went into User accounts and set up a new user name. I gave this new user limited access. I then logged in as the new user and tried to access the internet and it did not work. I then went in and gave the new user name administrator access rights and this time when I tried to access the internet, it worked!

For some unknown reason, it is not allowing anyone with limited access rights access the internet.

I don't think the problem is with internet explorer as it works fine under my profile which is administrator as well.

Frustrated!! Urgh!

This should work fine

cacls "c:\program files\internet explorer" /e /t /p users:c

as bcastner pointed out.....are you sure you are typing it correctly, I noticed in your last post you said "C:/program" said it couldn't find the file, which of course is a typo....

A+,N+,CST,CNCT,MCP

Hey Froggy, yes that was a typo. I actually copied and pasted the caption into the "open" field.

I'm not very technical but can you tell me exactly what should be in the "open" field?? ie, is the word cacls supposed to be in there and are the qoutes supposed to be in there as well??

And, if this does work, what will this do to my computer?

Sorry for my ignorance! :eek:)

Thanks for your help.

k simplest way to show you all of this...open a command prompt (start > run > cmd)...now you have the black window. Now type this "cacls /?"

this will show you everything related to this command. It purpose is to basically change the permissions. In the suggestion above, basically he was trying to give the "users" group modify permissions which would be plenty in order to run the program but not overkill by using full control. All the /t /p etc...are switches that you an use with the commands which you can read about once you run the "cacls /?" and view the explanation for each. After you read that the command will start to make sense. You could do the same thing manually by going to that directory (c:\program files\internet explorer) right clicking on it and going to the security tab and changing the permissions right there...however using the suggestions above is far easier and the better option. Hope this helps you out.

A direct answer to your question would be this: in the open field you should have

c:\program files\internet explorer" /e /t /p users:c

there should be no quotes. Now the only thing I would check personally would be the group "users".....you might want to change this to "Everyone"

A+,N+,CST,CNCT,MCP

If your file system is NTFS, and you were to uncheck the option of "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" via Control panel/ Folder Options/ View/ Advanced Settings (scroll to bottom).

If you are using Pro the Security tab should now be available on individual folders and files. You can now check what access your users have to files and folders.

Check the Security tab for Program Files, a limited user should have 3 ticks: in Read & Execute, List folders (can't remember exact phrase not in Pro at the moment) and Read. Also check the Security tab for Internet Explorer too for same settings.

Hi guys,

I tried this and it didn't work. Any other suggestions? This is the current status:

I am an administrator and I can open internet explorer no problem.

My daughter is a limited user and she gets the following message when trying to access the internet:

"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

If I change her rights to administrator, she can access the internet no problem.

frustrated!

At this point I would reinstall internet explorer.....but before you do this....maybe try adding her to the Power Users group if that's not to much power for the young lady

A+,N+,CST,CNCT,MCP

can you please tell me step by step how to add her to the power users group?

Thanks

Start, Run, compmgmt.msc

Then expand Local Users and Groups, click Users, double click your daughter's account, Member Of tab, Add button, Advanced button, Find Now button, pick Power Users, OK, OK.

right click on "my computer" and go to "manage"....then expand users and groups, click on the users folder. Find your user and right click on them and go to properties. Under the member-of tab you can add and remove the user from groups. So just click add, find "power users" (or just type it) hit enter and voila.

A+,N+,CST,CNCT,MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back