Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up automated mailbox to save attachments (Server Side) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
I've been googling for a while, and looked through the faqs here...

I have set up a mailbox on Exchange for incoming artwork. The artwork comes in as an attachment, either a jpg or a pdf.

I need to process the emails as they come in. I would assume that this is done with some sort of sink and powershell on the exchange side.

*optimally*, I'd like to take the email body and write it to a database (because the body will be the description of the artwork eventually), then save the attachment on a network drive.

If I can get the automated saving of the attachments working, that would be great. I'm really having issues finding documentation or examples on this however. Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA!

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

You know what would make this easy: having SharePoint in your environment. It's easy to have a mail-enabled SharePoint library that processes emails and attachments in just the way you are describing.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

We're building our own in-house document management; while I see your point, adding Sharepoint into the mix to do something that should be able to be done as a exchange sink seems a little overkill.

I think our SBS server has Sharepoint on it already; but I haven't played with it.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Hmmm... from what I see with Sharepoint, you don't seem to be able to specify the library location, nor can you just say "Here, use this folder for this library".

Since we have a dedicated document server (which is where these jpg's need to go), looks like Sharepoint won't do what I need. I did see the spot in there about grabbing files from an email address, and that looked spiffy... but not if it doesn't actually save the file where I need it.

Just my 2¢

--Greg

You're right. The destination would have to be a SharePoint library, not a folder in the file system, and you would have trouble writing the text to a non-Sharepoint database.

Unfortunately this forum is usually more about the configuration than the programming.

It does look like AttachmentSave from MAPILabs would do what you are trying to do though:
Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

adding Sharepoint into the mix to do something that should be able to be done as a exchange sink seems a little overkill.
Exchange has never been about document management - in fact, it's been entirely about NOT doing document management or being a repository. That's why people don't like Public Folder - because they sometimes get used as that.

Document management is entirely where SharePoint is positioned. You can email enable various libraries, and sent to them so that files are placed in the respective library. I'm sure some transport rule creativity could probably help.

Without SharePoint, I recall seeing some third party solutions that will do this, but I've never played with them.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

ShackDaddy:
Found that about the same time you did.

It works flawlessly (I'm on the 30 day trial).
Already getting a PO generated for it.

Have a *! Thank you!

58sniper! **GREAT** Signature line! :D

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back