Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up an I2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

rain99

Programmer
Sep 5, 2006
US
I have the phone programmed and all but i keep getting server unreacheable on the phone. I have DHCP set to no I have the set IP as the TN and i have the S1 set as the sig server address what am I doing wrong??

do you have a dhcp server on the same broadcast domanin?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

bad post, dhcp ='s no.. can you ping either that set or other ip's on the same network on that hub/switch? usually it's a network issue.. when i run into that i plug the set into the switch (cisco) in the frame room.. since my ip works off of that vlan i can determine if the problem is network or not

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

The set IP should be different than the TN. The ip should be on the same network segment or on a segment that has a route to the S1 ip address. The TN is an address in your Meridian switch that refers to the virtual superloop.

John,
I will try plogging it in on the Cisco switch.I dont have any more IP phones we use 3904's so this is the first one.

cularow,
I thought thats how the system recognized the phones by putting the TN as the IP. Where do you register the ip address then?

No, that is incorrect. Just like your 3904's have a unique tn that register in your switch. The ip phone has a virtual tn that also registers in your switch. But in order for your phone to communicate with the communication server and register an ip in the signaling server, it must have a valid ip on your clan to traverse your network and communicate. Tn would look something like 69 0 00 23, an ip address would be something like 198.168.5.100, and you must have an address for default gateway and subnet mask. If you use dhcp partial, it will assign all of these for you. The only ip you will need then is the S1 info.

Thanks cularow I understand all of that I thought the I2007's would register like the I2050 by putting in the TN but i see i was wrong.

It will work like the 2050. However the ip of the 2050 is the ip address of the pc it's loaded on. The TN is built in the Meridian switch as a i2004. On the 2050, all the ip info was already set up in the pc. You just typed in the s1 address and the type of server clicked ok and it worked. Same with the 2007, use dhcp partial, and enter the S1 ip info, if it finds a server, it will prompt you for a TN, you then enter whatever you built in the meridian switch as your tn. I run a full voip network off of a CS1000 and several branch offices, my network and team support over 1000 voip users. I was just trying help.

I recently went through this excercise and set up I2002 and I2004 phones.

You'll need to read up on document 553-3001-160_5.00.pdf from the Nortel.com support site.

Theres a specific section in there for DHCP configuration. More importantly it will show you how to set up the special Nortel DHCP attribute in assigning the S1 automatically by the DHCP server.

You may also need helper address on your routing boundaries.

What the?!?!

Cularow1,
Didnt mean anything by what i said I appreciate all your help on this I did not know the I2050 used the pc's address so that just like setting up a hard phone on your pc using MCS-5100 thanks for that knowlegdge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back