Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirchyBoy

MIS
Aug 25, 2001
GB
Hiya, I'm looking to setup a wireless network, I currently have a small Lan with Webaccess setup via a proxy server (Linux Smoothwall 2)I have several PC's that are connected via a small hub and IP addresses are assigned by DHCP (again by smoothwall)

I'd like to keep the PC's connected via the hub and also keep the smoothwall firewall/proxy server, But would like to extend the existing network so I don't have to have a long cable dragging across my hallway when I surf using my laptop!

I guess I'm looking for something to plug into my hub to extend the coverage via wireless...any thoughts or guides on this?

Thanks!!!

i bought a toshiba wap for $25 on pricewatch, works perfect for my home setup. I just hooked it into the hub and away she goes!

I guessed as much, I've bought a 3com WAP from ebay and a pcmcia Wireless nic (both 11.g) thanks, this confirms that i got the right stuff!

Cheers

P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back