Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting up a website on Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib999

Programmer
May 18, 2005
CA
I just bought a new computer with Windows Server 2003 Web Edition and I'm using it to host websites. I haven't got anything on there now, but when I do I'm going to want to get several domain names to resolve to one IP address, right? I'm told I can do this (i.e. have several websites hosted on the same machine with one IP address). What I want to know is how will the server know where the find each website based on the domain name given to it? I've tried connecting remotely using the IP Address and I can connect to index.htm under c:\Inetpub\ but if I'm going to have several domain names going to the same IP address, each one is going to have to find a subfolder or something under the fold. For example, if I type it's going to have to find the website for under something like c:\Inetpub\ and if I type it's going to have to find it under c:\Inetpub\ and so on. Am I on the right track? If I am, what is the exact naming convention for the subfolders for each website (i.e. what goes in the blank for, say, c:\Inetpub\If I'm totally out to lunch, please tell me how the server knows where the find each website given a specific domain name?

You are going to use something called "host headers". When you use them, you basically tell your server that if someone shows up at your site using a particular URL to get there, route them to this specific instance of a web site.

On the WebSite tab of your website properties, there is an Advanced button next to the IP address field. That's where you configure host headers.

BTW, host headers don't really work when you want to start using SSL and certificates.

ShackDaddy

I just have the my default page check the url and redirect appropriately.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it but it works for me.

Kurt

It's only easy if you know how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back