Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtbiker1824

Technical User
Jun 25, 2008
US
Ok I have been at this for 3weeks and 1 day straight! I can not for the life of me seem to get a vpn up and running. I am working with the XP version of a vpn server. I don't have a vpn router, but it has VPN forwarding capability. MY network is shown below (complements of clipart), I have Comcast high-speed internet going into my house then a cable box of some sort, then to my modem, then router, then to my devices. I have an old pc which I can put widows server 2003 on and use that but as of now I am not using it. My ip address I got from going to the status page of my router and getting the internet ip address it shows. To connect to the vpn I just go to add a new connection and then connect to my work place and enter the internet IP address my router's page gave me and it comes back unable to connect.
Can someone please help me set up an efficient VPN utilizing all of my assets? I was planning on setting up my old pc as a server anyway as my job has me traveling a lot and it would be nice to access files from my home when I am away. Thank you!

n12821533_34029686_3899.jpg

Best way is with Server 2003, but I am not sure how with Windows. Also, register (free) your IP address (assuming it's dynamic) with dyndns.org, or a similar site.

Burt

Why not use Remote Desktop? You can set that up on the pc you want the files from and remote in when away.

OpenVPN on anything. Works great, free, easy to use, and can run on anything. With openVPN I can get 600KB/s and better (my connection tops out) on a 10 year old PII 400MHz, 512MB RAM PC running linux. CPU hovers around 25% when busy, with 2048 bit RSA encryption keys mind you.

Strike the RSA keys part. My keys are AES because it's way faster than RSA, DES, 3-DES, and blowfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back