Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up A VPN Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

iheartvba

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2009
AU
Hi
I have 3 offices with each office running peer-to-peer networking. I have been able to set up a VPN connection between 2 offices using the Windows XP-Pro VPN Application. I am able to get the VPN connected, but when I get connected my local network starts giving a problem. I assume this is because the subnet mask is the same for the local network as well as for the vpn, I thought it was only nessecary to have a different range of IP Addresses. I don't want use trial and error, so is there a simple explanation of do's and dont's when setting up a Windows VPN connection between offices using Peer-To-Peer networking infrastructures. Or maybe I should get VPN Router hardware and link that way? The problem is I don't know how the hardware vpn's work, do they work to the exclusion of a software VPN.

In Conclusion; Help!

Thanks In Advance.

Here is a report of mine using IPSEC VPN routers
The RV042 also allows software IPSEC VPNs at the same time as hardware, but I do not have a mobile work force.

(If I got to do it over again, I would have numbered the subnets by 10s

then I could grow and have multiple VLANs per site.

It would be obvious that 192.168.11.0 was also at the 192.168.10.0 site)

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Look at the Netgear FVS318 router, I use that for small offices. What I would suggest though is let each router do DHCP but have different subnets.
These routers are about $150 per and are very reliable. It would help to have a static IP at each site but if you can't the check out dyndns.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back