Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a VLAN on a Cisco Catalyst 3560G

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegTellis

MIS
Jul 10, 2006
US
Okay. I am TOTALLY lost here trying to set up a VLAN. Admittedly, this is my first attempt at this. What has prompted this is that I am bringing my networks first SAN online and I have been told by the technician that is helping me configure it remotely that I need to set up a VLAN to connect the 4 ISCSI I.P. addresses to. The only problem with that is, I have NO real idea how to do that on a Cisco 3560. My normal internal network operates on x.x.212.x and I need to create a VLAN that corresponds to x.x.214.x as that is the I.P. and netmask that we have agreed upon that the ISCSI nics will operate on. I have been able to successfully create an additional VLAN via Telnet and have even verified that created VLAN exists with the Cisco Network Assistant software, so I am fairly confident that I have created the VLAN and I assumed somewhere in there I needed to give the new VLAN an I.P. address corresponding to the x.x.214.x range that the ISCSI nics will operate on, to that end, I did find a place that allowed me to give my newly created VLAN an I.P. address entry, which I then gave it an I.P. address of x.x.214.9 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 to correspond with my existing LAN subnet, but I am stuck from that point. All I know for sure is that I DEFINITELY can't ping any address of the .214 from my LAN .212 or vice versa. If anybody out there has any experience with this or by extension how this i supposed to work with a SAN, please PLEASE drop me a line...or a dozen..:)

Most of us just use the CLI , don't use the CNA so if you want to take a shot at the command line here is what needs to be done. Until you get an active connection in vlan 214 you won't be able to ping that address as it will be in a up/down condition.

conf t
vlan 214 ,enter
exit
interface vlan 214
ip address x.x.214.9 255.255.255.0
no shut

On the server interfaces

interface g1/0
switchport
switchport access vlan 214
spanning-tree portfast

Status