Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a SSL over internet to LAN server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhbrock911

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
US
Thanks in advance for any and all advance! I'm a database admin that has been given the assignment of setting up a gateway for our remote users to connect to our CAD (computer aided dispatch) server. The equipment I have so far is a fractional T1 with 7 IP addresses, a Cisco 2501 Router, ShopIP.com Crunchbox firewall, and several miscellaneous computers.

My thinking so far is to set up an authentication server that my remote users will login to, and a successful connection will redirect their connection to the server on my LAN. I've been given a deadline of 01/31/2004 and absolutely no budget for new hard/software.

I'd really appreciate any and all advice or links to websites with HOW-TO's that can help me complete this project. Or, should I simply let everyone at the organization know that it just can't be done in a secure manner. Oh, yeah, the data being accessed is extremely sensitive in nature and must be protected from hackers/vulnerability.

Yeehaw, huh?

Jonathan

I forgot to mention that my remote users will all be using Windows machines running a terminal emulation program called wIntegrate and ultimately connecting to any one of three different IBM RS/6000's running AIX 4.3.3 and UniData 5.x

wIntegrate is SSL capable, though AIX isn't listening on port 443 currently.

Should I be considering a Linux-based VPN instead of trying to make SSL work through a firewall and authentication server?

Jonathan

Have you considered using Terminal server instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back