Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Up a SQL Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

hartbros

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2003
US
I am brand new to SQL I have been programming in Access for about 5 years off and on and the problem is my database is very slow so that is why I am changing over to SQL, anyway I have imported into SLQ from an access file how do I go about setting up my client machines to run the database any help would be great thanks again in advance

hi
first of all tell me whether your client system having Sql Server or not ? and which front end application is using at client system ?

Good Luck
Gopala Krishna Kakani

Sorry, the databse is writen in access o up to now I have not changed it, should I split the databse first?, and I want to set it up w/ speed in mind

hartbros,

I think we need more information before we can answer.

What are you trying to acheive? Do you want an application to access the data? Or do you need an end-user to access it?

Mark

I want the end user to access the data.

Hi , Before answering i am just assuming that
you Have Installed SqlServer in your System and as well as
your client System before this You had MS Access.

So in your client system you have to register your system name in the enterprise manager , so that he can directly open and use the table which you are having.
Another way is just create one front end application in VB according to client Specification , so that client can
access the data . for this you need to client version of sqlserver in that client system.

Good Luck
Gopala Krishna Kakani

OK you lost me, I did install SQL Server on the Server but that is as far as I got befor I got stuck please bare w/ me if you would thanks

You should at least split your Access application.
I am assuming that your front end is written in Access, so if you do the split, the data can be migrated up to SQL Server, and you can then link your tables pointing to SQL server as the backend rather than the split
Access database.

Hope this helps a little

Regards
David

hartbros,

*HOW* do you want the end-user to access the data?

As listed above, you can create a front-end in MS Access, Visual Basic or even a web page.

Or, you can install the client tools for SQL Server and connect to the database that way.

Mark

I did the same thing a couple of months ago. There are a couple of listed ways. You might want to also try the Forum Microsft Access Projects here on tek-tips. Its a great start for SQL Server.

Use sql server DTS to get your information into your mdf file. Verify you have all of the correct datatypes on the new mdf. Also make sure each table has a primary key. From there you have a couple of options...

I'm assuming you want to keep using Access...
You can use your current Access front end to access the information (the easiest way). Just link with a OBDC connection, it's easy you just have to use link manager.
This wouldn't help you with speed, but you would be using SQL Server, which is where you need to start. You can then migrate all your forms, write stored procedures(queries), esentially re-write your front end(depending on how complex it is) to an ADP Access file. This will create a much faster interface, and you will be very happy with the improvements. I know I am, it just takes a little getting used to.

One big tip on linking froms and reports: Look up the help file on "InputParameters". It's probably one of the biggest, yet minor tips on moving from mdb's to adp's.

-Mark

Mark P.

Bleh

Thanks for all your help I have my work cut out for me it looks like, Just so you know I will be using Access to do the fornt end and SQL for the data. One question Ijust thougt of once I do the back end into SQL can I stil import new tables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back