Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a server on existing machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

drj31

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
US
Hey all-
I'm a beginner in the PC world and having been working in the realm of designing and developing websites. I really want to learn how to set up a website that accesses a database and was wondering how to set up my machine so that it acts like a server??? do i set up a partition? I'm really just clueless in this area and was wondering if anyone could help or point me in the right direction? I'm running Win2K. Thanks for any help.
-Jimmy

This isnt really the right forum for web related questions, but to start you off in the right direction - look for info on PWS (personal web server - comes with win2k), Apache (open source webserver-highly recommended) or IIS (Microsoft Internet Information Server - not free)

Try asking for more info in one of the web related forums, but work out exactly what you want to know - at the moment your basically saying teach me everything, but the answer potentially covers about a dozen different subjects...

forum65
forum83
and
Apache is a decent, reasonably secure webserver, and runs as a service under Windows 2000. It installs like a charm - and all relevant instructions are on the website.

Ensure you have a decent firewall as well.

You could get an old 386 PC and run Linux/IPChains as a basic firewall - which would also allow NAT, to keep your internal server invisible to the internet.

This could probably run under Cygwin - but the key here is to make your website as secure as possible before allowing Joe Hacker anywhere near it.

I would advise only starting on the database once your website is properly locked down.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back