Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a printer in Solaris 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

meinnm

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2005
US
I am running Solaris 10 on a sunblade 100 and have attached an HP LaserJet4 plus to it. The above is standalone. I configured the system to see the printer and the set up looks ok however when I send a print job to the HP it gets queued up and then disappears. There are no errors logged. Any ideas on what might be happening.

This used to work with Solaris 7-9, so I guess it will work with S10, too...

try this: create a file with many, many lines in vi or another texteditor; print this file with

unix2dos mylargefile | lp -d 10.2.28.53:raw

does it print the file?

Do your Printers accept PostScript? I have never seen these problems with the PS filter, but I never saw installations with the PCL filter.

Patches: did you check the lp Patches for your OS?

I suggest to try this (PostScript queue, if your printers don't support PS, you might check the man lpadmin for the -T Option for PCL)
# mknod /dev/lanPrinter c 13 2
# chmod 0600 /dev/lanPrinter
# chown lp:lp /dev/lanPrinter
# lpadmin -p lanPrinter -v /dev/lanPrinter -o protocol=bsd,dest=10.2.28.53:raw
# lpadmin -p lanPrinter -i /usr/lib/lp/model/netstandard
# lpadmin -p lanPrinter -T PS
# lpadmin -p lanPrinter -I any
# accept lanPrinter
# enable lanPrinter

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years in the domain of the OS, Backup and Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back