Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAP1214

MIS
Dec 25, 1999
US
I need help! I have been given the greatest challeng of my life. I have been asked to setup network for 25 cubicles/25 clients. Using the following: Netware 5.1, NT OS.

I have worked in the field but never asked to setup a entire network. Also, I am not sure which vendor to purchase hardware from or what is considered to be to pricey or to cheap. If there is anyone out there who can help me?

SHERRY MCKEOWN
sherrymckeown@hotmail.com
Be blessed at all times!

Which OS are you going to use for your file server. Does your network need internet access, email, etc.

The OS I'll be using is WINNT Workstations 4.0 and yes, internet accessibility is a must.

SHERRY MCKEOWN
sherrymckeown@hotmail.com
Be blessed at all times!

Wow, here is a list of things you are going to need to do.

1. internet router with pipe to the internet
2. Firewall protection
3. Some sort of Fast Ethernet Switch to connect devices to
4. If you are going to have email, you will need to hang your email/news server off the DMZ, better known as the public zone
5. Do you want to control who has access to the inet, then i would recommend you invest in Bordermanager for proxy and caching services
6. Since you are to have access to the internet, you need to decide wether or not to use public or private IP addressing, I recommend private and then NAT everything through the router
7. Netware 5.1 is a good o/s to use, with the NT workstations, just make sure you have the latest and greatest Novell client installed
8. Do some research on the inet config, your probably going to want a fractional t1 at first for 25 users, a 256K pipe going out should be sufficient enough to support everone.
9. I would invest in fast ethernet 10/100 switches, lets say one 24 port switch for the DMZ and one 48 port switch for the LAN equipment.
11. The router going to the internet will need a T1 card going out most likely and Fast ethernet port on the other side, a small cisco 2600 router will suffice in this manner.
12. THe firewall, hmm, you may want to invest in something small, unless money is no object then I would recommend checkpoint firewall, you will have to hand the private lan off one port, the dmz off another, and a third port to connect to the caching server or fast ethernet port of the router

This will take some work and planning on your part, but since this network is small, it should be simple and easy to build and put together.

Make sure you use IP and do away with IPX unless you are going to have applications that require IPX.

Hope this helps

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back