Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a GFS scheme on ARCserve 6.5 on NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

muck

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2000
GB
Hi,
Can anyone tell me -

1. Do I need to format all 21 DLT tapes at once when setting up a GFS scheme with incremental backups Monday to Thursday and a full backup on Friday (no backups on Sat. or Sun)

2.Do I need all 21 Tapes at the time of GFS creation.

3.Do I have to name each tape or will the automatic serial number that ARCserve give the tape on first use do.

4. If using a blank media tape can I assign that to a media group or do I have to wait until it is used(giving it an id).

5. Any helpfull tips appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

1. Only the first tape have be blank or formatted. The rest don't have to be formatted unless you have the option to overwrite media in one of the options.
2.No
3.You don't have to name each tape GFS will label it automatically
4.I am not sure on this question.

Regards

I would use new blank tapes or erase some old ones and let ArcServe do all the work. It will create the media pools, name the tapes, track usage, and write protect tapes according to how long you want to retain them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back