Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a compact flash for a SMC (MC32)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTC1

Technical User
Jul 11, 2003
US
I have a (SMC) MC32 card that I want to load IP Line 3.1 on but it’s missing it’s compact flash card. Can I use an “off the shelf” flash card and just load the IPL software on it? Do I need to format or initialize the “new” flash card first?

These compact flash card are readable in a PC. So i guess a "off the shelf" card is able to receive and work with the software you can load on it.
I have never try it. You may have the correct capacity for that flash. Just try to read card properties from another card of the same application. Normally for Miran and VGMC it's 64Mb.

You should be ok, even with a 16 Meg CF. See my info on formatting a CF card.

How to repair a PCMCIA / Compact flash card
that won't work in Windows 95/98 or on some Nortel applications

Most PCMCIA or Compact flash size cards can be reused. If by any chance it was formatted by accident with Windows 2000 or XP etc, it's possible to recover the card back into full working order by putting it into a digital camera that accepts that type of card & using the camera's own format facility.
I had a Canon Power shot A70 digital camera, which I found worked OK for me. I was then able to reuse my 64 Meg Sandisk CF card again.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

I've taken the CF from a MC with IPL or IPT software on it and copied the CF using Drive Image (to do a bit to bit copy incase there's any hidden files)to a blank CF and used the new CF in a MC that didn't have one without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back