Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up a 56K modem as a "Standard" 33.6K

Status
Not open for further replies.

robherc

Programmer
Apr 20, 1999
US
Hello, I recently purchaced a Shark Multi Media Leopard 56K Data/Fax/Voice K56flex/V.90/33.6/etc. WinModem.<br>
For some reason I keep getting the error message: "ppp_no_protocal_supported" when I try to connect to my ISP. I have tried updating my modem drivers with the updates available at the site, but to no avail (the updates didn't work).<br>
I'm wanting to instal the modem as a "Standard" 33.6 modem as this is the only method I currently know of to alleviate this apparent conflict with my server.<br>
Can anyone help me with this? I'm REALLY getting bugged by the speed of my old 14.4 & I REALLY want to get SOMETHING faster working!<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance.<br>
-Robherc

You need to look in the Modem's manual and find the initialization string to force it to V.34 or V.42 (been awhile since I've done this but check for the manual for the correct protocol for the desired speed). Also on some modems when you do a force speed it will not allow an auto negotiation down due to line conditions. I'd suggest setting the speed to 28,800 till your shure your getting the connection then bump it up.<br>
<br>
You may also want to check the available dial #'s of your ISP to see if they have a specific # to dial for V.90 connections.<br>
<br>
Have Fun :)<br>
Sterling

Sterling-<br>
<br>
I was unable to find ANY relevant info in the modem's manual and the on-line tech-support is down.<br>
<br>
Does anyone have any other suggestions or know how to force different modems to use a 33.6 protocall? Right now I'd be willing to try anything as the modem is no less worthless to me now than it would be if I messed it up by feeding it another modem's commands.<br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc

For my modem you would use;<br>
<br>
ATS37=11 <br>
<br>
for 14,400 or use;<br>
<br>
ATS37=17<br>
<br>
for 28,800 or use;<br>
<br>
ATS37=19<br>
<br>
for 33,600. This would need to be done after the initialization string or as the last step in the initialization string. Some initialization strings will reset to default values automaticly. There was also mention of a command `+MS=m' with `m' being a modulation setting but it didn't tell me how to use it.<br>
<br>
Hope this works for you.<br>
<br>
Have Fun :)<br>
Sterling

where do I put these commands? I really don't know that much about modem software; I just program 'net software & do hardware stuff (aside from a light background in MS DOS batch programming)<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc

Ok, the basic command to switch a 56k modem into 33.6k mode is AT S38=0<br>
Ignore the S37 register alltogether.<br>
<br>
You set the setting in (I'm assuming Win95/98):<br>
Dial-up Networking <br>
-&gt; Properties for your connection (right-click on icon) <br>
-&gt; Click Configure <br>
-&gt; Click on the Connection tab <br>
-&gt; click the Advanced button <br>
-&gt; Type the settings into the "Extra Settings" field, but leave out the AT at the start (windows will supply this)<br>
<br>
That should do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back