Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting up 2 graphics cards without conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

kell3625

Programmer
Jan 6, 2001
US
I would like to setup 2 graphics cards. One is needed for a game that I play, the other so I can hook up cable to the computer to use it as a TV. One is AGP, the other PCI.. and when they're both in at the same time, I have no monitor.. Is there a bios setting I need to configure?

If there is an onboard video card, that isn't used, it should be disabled. If you have the monitors on, one of them should boot. You specify the default monitor in most BIOS, as you indicated.
Do you have the drivers for both cards?

-David
2006 Microsoft Most Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

I would suggest that you install one of the cards, boot into the OS, get it properly configured, and then install the second card. Trying to get both going at once could be painful.

I haven't messed around much with multiple cards since they were first supported in Windows 98, but at that time the primary display adapter defaulted to the PCI slot, even if an AGP card was installed. I don't know if that is still the case.

What cards and mainboard are you using? There may be a compatibility issue. For that matter, there may be a lack of power from the PSU. The more info you give us the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back