Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting the Stack ID on a DELL Powerconnect 3248P?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdcr1

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2009
US
We have 7 DELL Powerconnect 3248P 48-port POE switches, and all but one are connected to each other with the RJ-45 Gigabit port (labeled G3 and G4 on the switch). The last one is connected from its G4 port to the second-to-the-last one's regular 10/100 port (#21, in this instance). This last one is also the only one that has the Stack ID light on, and it is showing the Stack ID as being #1 and the master. We've had some odd network issues occur in the last day or so connecting to specific servers (the type of errors that happen when the network has conflicts and on a server that relies heavily on quick network connections), and it was after we moved some cables on the last switch. Looking at the physical configuration now, we're wondering if the way the last switch is connected might have anything to do with it. Optimally, if all the other switches are not lit but haven't had any problems, we probably won't do anything with the 6, but for the 7th, should we plug into the gigabit port to connect it with the Stack ID light lit up, or should we connect 6's #21 jack to 7's #15 jack and bypass the gigabit port on these two switches? Thanks!!

Are all 7 switches running the same firmware version?

What do the logs say?

What changes have been made to the factory default configuration?

All great questions - we bought them all previously owned and would need to connect to them to tell you that. They were set to factory default before use, but I'm looking to connect via browser to find out those answers; I don't want to connect to the console port on each switch but would rather connect remotely to all. I will check their web interfaces and get back...

I get all the Powerconnect switches I use off eBay. Lots of networking power for the price!

You will likely need to connect to the serial ports in order to assign IP addresses so you can use the browser or telnet interface. Otherwise you will be shooting in the dark with DHCP or attempting to use Dell's overcomplicated software.

I'm not familiar with the 3248P switches and all the documentation I'm finding online points to them not having a stacking configuration. However you mention a Stack ID which indicates otherwise. Have you found online docs? I mostly use the 30xx series which do stack. I had a few of the later model Powerconnect switches and I seem to recall they didn't stack.

If they don't stack then you could just set each switch to a different IP address and access the management interfaces that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back