Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Tabs for Entire Document

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael42

Programmer
Oct 8, 2001
US
Hello,

In PageMaker 7.0 I have found I can create a tab stop using the Indents/Tabs menu option. Unfortunately it only is applied to the current line.

How can I create a tab that will work for the entire document?

Thanks,

Michael42

The best way is to create a "style", called for example, Tabs, which you can apply by a single click with the Text "I" Bar located in the relevant line of text.

If you wish to change the default "no style", it can be done by loading up PM, and without any publication open, set the tabs how you want them. Then exit PM, re-load Pm and chack that this is indeed the new new default setting.

LIVERPOOL FC - FA Cup Winners 2006.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Michael - Highlight all the text you want the tabs applied to, then set the tabs. The tabs will be applied to the area you select.

Your best bet is to set your tabs in a "style" - then you only have to click on a style to format an area rather than setting tabs every time.

...kim

Thanks all for the suggestions. Please excuse my newness.

BigJohnD,

I was able to reset my tabs as you mentioned and confirm upon reopen of PageMaker the tab was saved. However, when I load a preexisitng document my new tabs are not there.

BigJohnD and Kim00,
I created a style with the desired tabs but when I go to apply it to a line(s) nothing happens.

Please, what can you suggest?

Thanks,

Michael42

Michael - I'm baffled.

With your styles palette open, click inside the text - can you see your new style highlighted in the styles palette? I just want to make sure it hasn't defaulted to "Normal." I found that when you select text and create a new style, PM keeps it set to "Normal" until you actually click on the new style. I'm not trying to sound condescending, but I found the styles function in PM to be a little painful to perfect but certainly worth the effort.

BigJohnD? Any ideas?

kin00,

>> click inside the text - can you see your new style highlighted in the styles palette

Yes. It selects my new style when I select a line where I applied it.

Maybe I created it incorrectly. Here is how I created my style (I am new at this):
Code:
1. Placed cursor in text area - on a [b]body[/b] text item.
2. Selected the create style icon.
3. Selected [b]Tabs...[/b] 
4. Set my desired tab settings then pressed OK.
5. Selected OK on the [i]Style Options[/i] window saving my new style.

Did I do this incorrectly?

Thanks again,

Michael42

Guys,

I am a thick head. I was expecting just by selecting the style for my text to automatically tab over. :)
I have to press the tab key.

Thanks gain for your help,

Michael

However, when I load a preexisitng document my new tabs are not there.

No, you'll have to change the old publication as the saved style will not be altered unless you actively change it.

LIVERPOOL FC - FA Cup Winners 2006.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back