Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting starting value of COUNTER via a textbox 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMode

Technical User
Aug 28, 2003
GB
I have a query that renumbers a field for all records in a temporary table

Code:
ALTER TABLE tblRanking ALTER COLUMN Rank COUNTER

This works perfectly.

What I would like to do is dictate what the starting number should be. I understand that you can add additional information for the COUNTER (x,y) for starting value and increment amount e.g. (5, 1) would start the series at 5 and increment each record by 1, therefore values would be 5, 6, 7, 8, etc.

My issue is that I need the starting value for a renumbering exercise to be determined each time I run the query based on a value I capture in a textbox.

Something like this:

Code:
ALTER TABLE TEMPRanking ALTER COLUMN NewClassRank COUNTER (me.text15, 1);

This just creates an error... How do I push the value in the textbox into the statement?

**embarrassed**

Of course, dumping something into a SQL statement doesn't work! However, breaking into the statement and inserting the variable does.

This works.

Code:
"ALTER TABLE tblRanking ALTER COLUMN Rank COUNTER(" & me.text15 & ", 1);"

not in the query it wouldn't, which is what you stated
I have a query

But of course, if you have VBA creating a SQL statement on the form itself...
Code:
CurrentDB.Execute("ALTER TABLE tblRanking ALTER COLUMN Rank COUNTER(" & me.text15 & ", 1)", dbSeeChanges)
That'll do the job also.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Thank. It's Friday, I must be getting tired and not paying attention to even the basics :)

No problem, always glad to help, I shudder at some of the stupid questions I have asked here on TT over the years, when I really did know better.

Brain freeze happens to us all, not just on a Friday!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back