Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting server IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parmb

Technical User
Dec 17, 2001
GB
I'm trying to set up DHCP on the network, i have 2 questions
I'm running novell netware 5.1 and win 98 wrk stations.

1) How do i alter the server IP address

2) once ive setup the DHCP options in the Management console, i was told to enter the DHCPSRVR command - however the server says that
'none of the configured DHCP server objects contain a NCP server reference for the file server.......no LAN based IP address assignment is possible'

what am i missing?? i tryed to follow the instructions i was givern, but i guess their wrong.

any help be gretly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Parm

Hi, parm
1. Changing the server's IP depends on how it's currently set up..... if your autoexec.ncf file has loads and binds for TCP/IP (ie bind ip n100_ip addr=x.x.x.x mask=x.x.x.x gate=x.x.x.x) then just change the addr= part to reflect the new address. Once that's done, reboot the server. (you can do this step without rebooting the server if you unbind the current IP and re-bind the new one). If your autoexec.ncf has no loads or binds OR if they're commented out, from the command prompt, type INETCFG.... this will spawn another program. From the main INETCFG menu, go to the BINDINGS section for your NIC, the TCPIP protocol and change the IP address. Once done, you must either reboot the server or issue a REINITIALIZE SYSTEM command.
2. DHCP is set up using the DNS/DHCP console. You can find this on the NetWare CD. Just install it and run it; it will create the NDS objects for you and will automatically start the DHCPSRVR NLM. ------------
Certified in absolutely nothing :)

If you have already installed DNS-DHCP, in NWADMIN32, go to the TOOLS menu - DNS-DHCP Management Console.

Good Luck!

If things still don't work, delete all DHCP servers and related resources and locator objects. Then run DNIPINST.NLM this will extend the schema and created the necessary objects. Then use the mangament console to create the DCHP server object then create your address pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back