Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting security rights for multiple users

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccj

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2001
US
I have a machine that I frequently have to change an external hard drive on. Each time I do that I have to create approx 40 folders and assign deny rights to 39 people and full access to 1 person on each folder. To do this currently I have to add each user and then click deny on 39 and full on 1. I have to do this for each folder and each person which of course takes a lot of time and is very monotonous. Can anyone tell me if there is a way that I can assign rights to multiple users at once for each folder? Hope my question is clear enough

Sounds like a job for a batch file. Use

[ul]
[li]mkdir to create folder[/li]
[li]icacls to set propeties[/li]
[/ul]

You can also do this in powershell, vbscript or javascript if you prefer them to windows batch. For vbscript and javascript, you might have to go into wmi.

I think you have a bigger problem - that's a total rube goldberg setup. Can't you design your data storage any more cleverly so as to avoid all that B.S.?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back