Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting memo size 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

watercooler

Programmer
May 7, 2004
CA
Is it possible to set a memo size? I am concerned that people will enter information into the memo field (typically less than 500 characters) and then go back and add a lot more at a later date. I have been warned that this can cause a lot of problems with the extra size overwritting the next record. Is there a way I could set the memo size to something like 1200 characters?

Thanks.
Rob

watercooler

A conditional "no".

About the only way I can figure out how to do this would be to "count" the characters as they are typed, perhaps using the "On Key Press" event. But this would not be perfect.

As an FYI, the first 255 characters are treated like a text field on a memo field for Access 2000 and beyond.

Perhaps, a work-around would be to define the form with scroll bars, and make it big enough to hold your 500 characters. This wont stop everybody from going beyond the defined size, but it may help.

Richard

Another possibility would be to put your memo into a separate table and link it into your primary table. You can also use Len to track the length of the memo field. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back