Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting limited permissions on a file 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

elpico

Programmer
May 14, 2003
GB
Hi all,

This problem's really bugging me - I've created a Office 2k style shortcut for running a program on windows 2000 that automatically logs in to a database, with the information passed in the shortcut itself. The shortcut looks similar to the following - "C:\Program Files\TestProgram\App1\TestApp32.exe" /Domain /DSN=OracleDSN /DBUID=mbr /DBPWD=mbr /NoWarn

The problem is that I don't want anyone or a specific user that isn't an administrator to right click and look at the link ---- ie, I just want them to be able to execute the link but not see the password and info in the link --- Any suggestions for getting around this????

Thanks,
elpico

Can't you make that shortcut into a batch file which runs silently, and just create them a new shortcut to that batch file?

Just a thought.

Mark

Hi,

I've been thinking about that also, but the maintenance of this will be another overhead - ie there will be at least 100 shortcuts, all pointing to different database schemas, and if I create a batch file for each one, the risk of exposure becomes greater ---- Do you know whether you can set a file in windows to be execute only - and not read?

Maybe instead there is a permission/policy setting that will deny a non-admin user from right clicking on the file - Any know how - I've checked through the user/group settings without any luck.

Cheers,
elpico.

Surely that means the user is going to get 100 shortcuts then?

Not sure if it works the same, but try....

Start the Registry Editor by typing regedit.exe in the Windows command line.
Move to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\Explorer.
From the Edit menu, select New DWORD Value.
Enter the name NoViewContextMenu and press [Enter].
Double-click the new value, set the value to 1, and choose OK.
Close the Registry Editor.
Log out.
Log back in.

Or try using Group Policies??

elpico - you can set file to be execute only - but as I said (not explicitly!) in your 2k post, that doesn't work if you do it to a shortcut (shortcut no longer runs the app). Also true if you do it to a batch file that you run from shortcut (batch file won't run).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back