Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting Keyboard to Desired Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

rztour

Programmer
Apr 8, 1999
US
I just installed Attachmate Personal Client at home to connect to the mainframe at work. Seems to be working OK, except I am having trouble getting the Insert (subsequent keying moves everything to the right) and Home (cursor goes to top of screen) keys to work. These keys are essential. The steps that I follow to attempt to set the keyboard mapping as needed are as follows:<br>
1)Options<br>
Settings<br>
Keyboard<br>
<br>
I get to the Keyboard Map Editor - Virtual Office (101 key).EKM<br>
2) I enter Edit and receive the keyboard on the screen.<br>
3) I double click the key which I would like to assign the "Insert" function to, however, when I assign Insert to it, I get this annoying 2~ symbol in my text upon trying to use it. I don't even see a home key. What can I do to get these functions working. I need to rely on this machine for home use. Please can anyone help me. I'm desperate!!!!<br>

What version of Attachmate are you using? And what operating system are you on.<br>
I use Attachmate 6.x on NT4.0.<br>
If I understand correctly, you are trying to turn one of the keys into an 'Insert' key. The easiest way to do this is with drag and drop. When you're in the Keyboard editing mode click on the menu item Edit/Show Defaults. This will show you the default keyboard. You can drag and drop from this keyboard. If you hold down the Ctrl, Shift or Alt keys the default keyboard will change to reflect what the other keys do when these keys are held down.<br>
<br>
Let me know if this helps or not.<br>
P.S. Thanks for the info on the double clicking, I didn't know that about Attachmate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back