Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting IRQ's when using micro star int 5340 ver 3 board

Status
Not open for further replies.

st0z

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
GB
when using hardware ie modem, graphics , sound and usb controllers they all take on the IRQ 9 state, with many diffrent attemps i am still unable to set them to use different IRQ'S. this problem is only present when i use os 2000 and xp but i am able to change these settings with windows 98. any ideas on this would be appreciated

many thanks ST0Z

You have IRQ steering on your motherboard. It's normal for all PCI (and AGP) devices to use the same IRQ. To assign different IRQs you would need to disable the steering function (might be in CMOS but I've never disabled it).

Since your computer is working, I wouldn't monkey with them. The reason you can change them in Win98 is probably due to the fact that you haven't installed the proper drivers in the Win98 setup for the motherboard. Win2000 likely installed the proper drivers to enable the IRQ steering.

hi accessdabler my pc dosen't work properly when playing games and flash it will cause the sound to become scrambled
and there is no were in the bios to turn of the plugnplay settings

chears ST0Z

Does your startup music sound garbled too? It may be a problem with your Ultra DMA setting.

Right-click My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager button. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section and double-click the Primary IDE Controller.

Under Advanced Settings, make sure you have Ultra DMA set (not PIO Modes). Do the same for the Secondary IDE Controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back