Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting icon position on desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Is it possible to set an icon position on the desktop in vbscript?

The problem: a colleague has icons in specific positions on his desktop. They are grouped into specific tests. All the operators who use his machine know where to go to on the screen when they want to run specific tests. The problem is that sometimes, windows decides to boot up on a different screen resolution and bunches all the icons in the top left corner. He then has to rearrange the icons again.

I could write a script to reposition the icons automatically but other than using an external program, I don't know how to move icons to specific positions on the desktop. Any ideas?

There is selmon a technological solution for a behavioral problem.

That being said, orgranize the Start Menu to contain all these shortcuts. Then remove the desktop icons. Sure it means a little Operator education but eliminates the problem altogether. :)

-Geates

"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
- Martin Golding

These aren't computer literate operators. The last time we 'educated' them, the task bar disappeared (i.e explorer died) and shortcuts were dragged off the start menu (not sure how they did that).

I don't know if you can do that...

but if you don't find a solution, and third-party software (like Ultramon) is out of the question, you might consider creating an HTML Application (HTA file) as an interface. Then, there is only one shortcut (to open the .HTA file), and you can make it look however you want, no chance of dragging, repositioning, deleting, etc.

Yes - the hta is a strong favourite.

Found this on
It uses layout.dll to save the positions. Not quite vbscript but I guess that is good enough for what I need.

I still haven't figured out how they killed explorer. I had a phone call saying - you know you told us to press the start button, I can't find it on the screen. After talking the guy through the various options, I had to go over and yes, the task manager didn't have explorer at all. These are brilliant technicians who can tell you what is wrong with the car from half a description but they have totally crap computer skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back