Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting File Permissions from Access 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzey

MIS
May 30, 2002
AU
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know a way I can set file permissions using code in Access.

I've had a look at the 'SetAttr' function, but this just seems to set the file attributes.

What I would really like to do is set the security permissions. So the person logged on would have change control on a specific file, and everyone else would have read only access.

The reason I would like to do this through Access, is because I want the user to set up a link to additional files they have created, relating to a specific record in Access. The linked file will exist in a specific directory on our network, which I can secure based on the department. But I would also like to secure the file, so only the person creating the file in Access, and linking to the file on the network, would be able to edit the file in the future, but still allow all others to view the file as read only.

We are using NT4, and although this could be done manually through explorer, there are a lot of files involved, and it would be better if this could be done by the individual as they add in the linked file.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back