Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting file icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I'm trying to create an MSI using the setup wizard in VS. So far everything is going swimmingly well except for one bit. I can't set the icon for the shortcut to the batch file on the desktop.

If I view the project File System, go to the Users desktop and select the shortcut, it shows me that the icon is set to None. I can type in the name, browse for name etc but it still doesn't set the field. Also, if I browse, it allows me to select a name but the OK button is disabled.

Do I need to do something else to the icon file before I can use it? It looks like there is some registration of some sort but I can't figure out what it is.

After playing with it overnight, I found that it will only use icons from .exe or .dll files. It won't use a .ico file. Anyway, I can now set the icon in the project. However, when I install, it still doesn't set the icon to the batch file. Any ideas other than

1) rewrite setup
2) install with DISABLEADVTSHORTCUTS=1 and do it manually

Is there a way of specifying stuff in the setup.ini file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back