Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting DNS Server for LAN systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahirkhalil

Technical User
Dec 8, 2000
PK
I am using Solaris 2.6 intel based. I want to establish a corporate (inter-office) email system. My client PCs are on DOS and connected thru TCP/IP using PATHWAY software. Presently Client PCs can send emails with address like user@ipaddress. I want to use a specific domain named email address like user@myoffice.com--only for LAN now, and in future I will extend this to Internet. Is it required to setup a local DNS server? if yes! how I can skip the root DNS server entries in configuration file?

we don't have a DNS ... and we do it by POP3 to the Solaris box ...

we have SMTP on our solaris box, connected to the outside world, POP3 server running on this box, and Pegasus email on our clients (winPC's)

works for us ... :)

how it works? can u give something in details.

ok ... you just need to set up a pop3 client ... we have one on our server CD's (but i think you can download it for free, at least with Solaris 8)

it's a very small program ... you can probably get free versions of the net if you look ... and there is _very_ little configuration needed.

the mail clients talk to the pop3 server/smtp program on the Solaris box, and not to the internet directly.

you then configure sendmail with the sendmail.cf to output this to the internet, and receive it from the internet for each client.

we have this system working at at least 3 sites now, and it's by far the easiest and quickest way of dealing with email.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back