Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Setting access rights in a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

drimades

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2004
MK
How can I limit "write access" in a table by using a "password"?

A couple of possibilities:

1. By using Access's user-level security and setting the relevant user permissions to the object.

2. By preventing users from getting to the DB window, and creating two forms - frmPassword and frmMain. Force the users to enter a password into frmPassword, which is validated against a table or constant, before opening frmMain which allows updates to your table.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Thank you!

As for the first I've created the users and set the rights, but I don't see where to set the passwords. Can you help me?

Tools > Security > User & Group Accounts > Change Logon Password.

You need to be logged into the relevant user account to set its password so set the Admin user's password first, then close and re-open Access and re-open your database as another user.

Ed Metcalfe.

Thanks! What do you mean "open the database as another user"? My file .mdb is in a shared directory in the server where anyone can see it. It is used to view some forms of data. Everyone can view the records in the form but for each mask there is only one user that can use the mask for modifying the records. So I can even use a function to check if the user clicks to the field for modifying it.

In the first step you set up a number of different user accounts and assigned the relevant rights to the tables.

In the second step you need to open up the User & Group Accounts window and set the password for each user you have created.

This window only allows you to change the password for the user you are currently logged in for:

1. Set the password for the first user, which will be the Admin user.
2. Close/reopen Access and then reopen your database. You will be prompted to enter a user name and password. Enter the next user on your list (for example "Ed", leave the password blank, press the OK button. The database will open in the Now reopen the User & Group Accounts window and set the password for the "Ed" account.
3. Repeat for each user you have created.

Ed Metcalfe.

It's clear to me. The only problem is that when each time I open the .mdb file it prompts only for the password!

How did you set the password? Which menu option did you use?

You should use Tools > Security > User & Group Accounts > Change Logon Password.

I think you may have used Tools > Security > Set Database Password.

Ed Metcalfe.

It works fine on my PC asking each time for username and password, but if another user opens it from another PC in the network it asks only for the password database without making distinction about users! Why?

Have you included yourself to the Admins group and remove the Admin user from that group? Also remove any rights from Users group. BTW, it would be much more convinient to make groups of users and assign rights to the groups and not rights to the users directly.

Just before playing keep a safe copy of unsecured mdb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back