Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

setting a DEFINE value at runtime 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxtell

Programmer
Sep 11, 2007
US
I'd like to change a create table script to decide at run time which compression to use. Here is what I have so far

Code:
set define on
column compression new_value compress_for noprint
select 'oltp' as compression from dual;
create table ....
compress for &compress_for
...;
set define off

I'll replace the hard coded 'oltp' with some logic to determine appropriate compression. Is this the right way to accomplish defining a value at runtime? Is there a better way?

-----------------------------------------
I cannot be bought. Find leasing information at

Jaxtell said:
Is this the right way to accomplish defining a value at runtime?
Yes, Jaxtell, that is one way to define a value at runtime for a substitution parameter. The method you presented is particularly appropriate if you are prompting for a value, then some additional SQL processing needs to occur against the value you input prior to its use via a "&<name>" invocation.

The following script is an example of "additional SQL processing". It is a script that:[ul][li]Prompts for a username and password,[/li][li]Connects to the default Oracle instance,[/li][li]Then, the "additional SQL processing" algorithmically formulates an entirely new SQL*Plus prompt (placing the results into the substitution parameter, "my_prompt"). The new prompt is composed of:[ul][li]the host name[/li][li]the Oracle instance name[/li][li]the current Oracle user name, and[/li][li]The literal "SQL> "[/li][/ul]
Code:
accept usrname prompt "Enter an Oracle username: "
accept pw prompt "Enter &usrname.'s password: "
conn &usrname/&pw
col my_prompt new_value my_prompt
set feedback off
set time on
set termout off
select '"'||host_name||'/'||instance_name||
           ':'||user||' SQL> "' my_prompt
from v$instance;
set termout on
set sqlprompt &my_prompt
I saved the above code into a script named "log-me-in.sql". (Since there are SQL*Plus "ACCEPT" statements, you must run this code from a script...you cannot just copy and paste the code to a SQL> prompt.)

Here is an invocation of "log-me-in.sql":
Code:
SQL> @log-me-in
Enter an Oracle username: summit
Enter summit's password: ********
Connected.
16:43:42 MY-PC/my_oracle:SUMMIT SQL>
[/li][/ul]If you don't need to do any manipulation of a substitution parameter (i.e., SQL*Plus "&"-name), then you don't need all of the "new_value" definitions. Here is an example of very simple substitution-parameter definition and usage, based upon a variant of your original code:
Code:
SQL> create table jaxtell (x number) tablespace &my_tablespace;
Enter value for my_tablespace: data1

Table created.

SQL>
So you can see from the above, highly simplified code, that run-time value specification can be much simpler than your original code. If, however, you need additional SQL manipulation to a manually entered substitution-parameter value, your original technique is excellent.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back