Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set video settings too high, how to fix???

Status
Not open for further replies.

boobert

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
US
Okay here's the situation:
I work with a Dell Optiplex GX240 pc running Windows NT 4.0. If you adjust the resolution and/or refresh rate at a setting that is too high for either the monitor or video card...you guessed it. It don't work no mo. You get a message saying "frequency out of range". In any other computer, like the one I have at home, it just plain won't let you set the settings beyond what can be handled. Is there any way to fix this problem without re-imaging the machine? The tech dudes at my work say there is no way this can be fixed aside from re-imaging. I think there is a way!
Details:
- I can start in VGA mode no problem and last good configuration does not work.
- The pc is running an ATI RAGE 128 PRO 16MB card.
- I would simply like to uninstall the now faulty drivers and reinstall, but how exactly do I do that in NT 4.0?

Any help anyone can provide to prove the tech guys wrong would be greatly appreciated. If you need further details let me know.
Thanks
fardler

Try booting the pc in "safe mode" (Press F8 during boot sequence and choose "safe mode"). Then remove your video card from the device manager. Then reboot pc and reinstall video card.

If I hit F8 while booting I do not get the option to boot into safe mode. The only options received are to start normally or start in vga mode. It would be nice if it were that easy.
Thanks

Boot to VGA mode (NT's only equivalent to Safe Mode) and change the drivers.
When you shut down do it with Ctrl/Alt/Del and choose restart (this should establish the settings).
Let us know if it works.
I have my doubts, tho, that it'll work, as the guys involved "where the rubber meets the road" are usually spot on with their advice.
But try it.

I gave that a shot and received the same results "Frequency Out of Range". The file vga.sys is the current driver being used (hence vga mode). When I tried to change drivers the only change that it actually made was that now when you boot normal mode is vga mode. In other words it goes directly into vga mode now. I still cannot adjust display settings in vga mode even though I have read I should be able to. The only options I can change are 800 x 600 or 640 x 480. Even if I change it to 640 x 480 I still cannot adjust the refresh rate.

Thanks for the help. Keep the ideas coming if you got em.

I GOT IT! In the registy I found where the display settings were stored, changed them to a known good configuration reinstalled the drivers and restarted.
Thanks for all your help it is greatly appreciated. If you want to know more let me know.
fardler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back