Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set Variables on receiving end of Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeZiner

Programmer
May 17, 2001
US
I am doing realtime credit card processing. The processor sends my user to a confirmation page where the approval code etc is displayed. Looking at the source they have a form method=POST back to the page I enter as my Thank You page (redirects auto or user clicks a button to get there) Within this form there are several hidden form fields. If that form is posted to me can I pick up the value of the form fields then use a document.write to display some of the fileds again on my end? Trying to capture the name for a customized message. DeZiner
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic

my guess is they use a hidden field to redirect the user back to you. if i'm right, you can't get those hidden fields because the form doesn't get posted directly to you.
so,unless they pass those values to you,you don't have access to them.
but,if you don't mind me asking.why did you post this in javascript forum? X-)

:)

in order for this to work you must post your form within a frame and use the onchange statement to store your fields in the top frame. If you redirect from Perl your new page will be loaded in the same frame. If you do not need frames, just make a one pixel blank frame and use the second frame for your page.

example :
//in the post page
<input type=text name='name' size=40 maxlength=35 value=&quot;&quot; onchange='top.save_name=this.value'>

//in the new redirected page
<script>
document.write(&quot;Thanks &quot; + top.save_name);
</script>

I have done it and it works.

Detlef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back