Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set up PPP on Linux. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
I need to setup PPP on a linux server for remote dial in capabilities. Does anyone know how this is done? The server is a Linux Redhat 7+ system. Can anyone help? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I am sorry guys. I hate to ask this but I need something that is a little less confusing. I have only a couple of days to get it going. Any help is greatly appreciated. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

The link above:

Is about as easy as it gets. I think RH might have a GUI for this (Maybe somewhere in linuxconf?), but I'm not sure. It's probably best to follow the HOWTO. Have you tried any of it yet? I have setup a few of these, so I might be able to help if you get stuck on a particular step.

Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

Why not use one ofthe GUI clients...kppp is great under the KDE desktop env
-NixerX

Maybe I misunderstood the question. I thought the user needed a ppp server for clients to dial-in to. If all the user needs is to dial an ISP, then kppp should suffice. Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

bgarlock
you are correct. I need to set up a Linux server for clients to dial in via PPP. Thanks for the Link. I wil try it. Any suprises that you noticed. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Ok thanks guys for the help> It seems to authenticate fine when I dial in. I can ping the server IP (192.168.100.1) and i can ping the PPP IP address (192.0.0.1) however I cannot ping any PC's on the network. I go to the Windows PC and did a:
route add 192.0.0.1 192.168.100.1
this should allow me to access the PC. However when I attempt to ping the PPP IP from the PC it gets destination host unreachable. Same if I try to ping the PC from the dialed in client. Any one know what I am doing wrong? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

If that doesn't work, try posting these files, and I'll take a look:

/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config
/etc/ppp/options
/etc/ppp/options.ttySx
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets

Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

Here is the files you were looking for.
I can conncet and ping the server and my PPP IP from my connection, however I cannot ping any other PC's.
--/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config--

/AutoPPP/ - a_ppp /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login debug

--/etc/ppp/options--

auth -chap +pap login modem crtscts debug proxyarp lock
ms-dns 192.168.100.1

--/etc/ppp/options.ttyD0--

192.0.0.1:192.168.100.1

--/etc/ppp/pap-secrets--

# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client server secret IP addresses
pppuser * ppp 192.0.0.1 James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Actually I cannot ping the server. Only the PPP IP address.
Any thoughts? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

In my /etc/ppp/pap-secrets, I have:

pppuser * "" *

Also, in your /etc/ppp/options, try putting all the arguments like this (not sure if it makes a difference or not)

auth
-chap
+pap
login
modem
crtscts
debug
proxyarp
lock
ms-dns 192.168.100.1

Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

bgarlock

Thanks for the help. I will give it a shot and let you know. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

Ok heres the scoup. I set it up like above. I dial in from my remote PC. I get connected. I can ping 192.168.100.1 but NOT 192.0.0.1 which is my connection IP. Also I can do a route add on one of the PCs on the servers network (192.168.100.10) and from that I can ping the 192.0.0.1 address. But I cannot ping that PC from my connection. Any suggestions? Do I need to add a route on the server side for the 192.0.0.1 to see the other systems on the network? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

What does 'netstat -rn' show? Do you have IP forwarding enabled? Is 192.0.0.1 in the /etc/hosts file on the server? On my setup, I give the IP address of the remote PPP client, on the same subnet. Since you are doing a different subnet, then you would need a route on the server. Also, each computer on the remote segment needs a route to the 192.168.200.0/24 segment. See:

Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

Here is my netstat results:
[root] lapcu.com:/root> netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
192.168.100.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
192.168.2.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
0.0.0.0 192.168.2.220 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

How do I do IP forwarding in Linux? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

For IP forwarding:

echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

You should also change /etc/sysctl.conf:

# Enables packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

So that when you reboot, packet forwarding is enabled.

Your route does not say anything about 192.0.0.1, Is that a subnet address on your network? If so, then you definitely need a route to it. It looks like everything is being forwarded to 192.168.2.220, which I assume is a router? On my setup, my /etc/ppp/options.ttyD0 file is:

192.168.200.10:192.168.200.190
^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
Server Client dialing in

Bruce Garlock
bruceg@tiac.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back