Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set up a linked server to a SQL2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaport

MIS
Jan 5, 2000
US
I am trying to set up a linked server to a 32-bit SQL2000 server on a 64-bit SQL 2008R2 server. On that 2008 Server, a linked server to another 32-bit SQL2000 server has been set up by someone else and it works fine.

I used the following script to create the linked server.
Code:
EXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedserver @server = N'SQL2000A', @srvproduct=N'MSOLEDB', @provider=N'MSDASQL', 
@datasrc=N'SQL2000A';

EXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedsrvlogin @rmtsrvname=N'SQL2000A',
@useself=N'False',@locallogin=NULL,@rmtuser=N'SQL2000Auser',@rmtpassword='SQL2000APw'

When I tried to access this linked server, I got the error

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "SQL2000A". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7303)

I have installed SQL2000 SP4 on the SQL2000A server successfully. I could not see any differences between this one and the other 2000 server. I checked "ODBC Drivers" on both sever using "ODBC Data Source Administrator" and the listed drivers are the same.

Any suggestions?

I figured it out. I needed to set up an system dsn on the SQL2008 server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back