Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

set type=tar

Status
Not open for further replies.

roycrom

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
GB
Morning all,

I have just returned from a proof of concept DR, we ran into a LOT of problems.

Our NAS is an EMC Celerra, we were provided with a NetApps filer (FAS 940 i believe) to restore to.

Now, the Celerra supports the "set type=tar" entry in the netbackup policy whereas the NetApps doesn't. For our DR to be successful, I am going to have to remove the "set type=tar" from our NDMP policies.

I know that emc recommends use of the tar switch for "path based history", what I don't completely understand is what this actually does. What benefits does this bring to backup/restore performance. I currently back up about 1.8 Tb on full weekend backups. Is removal of the tar switch more likely to affect the performance of CINC backups rather than Full Backups?

There doesnt seem to be anything out there (that I can find ) to actually explain what this does, only that it can be use with EMC Celerra (and hitachi and a couple of others).

If any one could provide me with an explanation, or could direct me to where I can find the information I would be most grateful, even to the point of dishing out a couple of stars!! Thanks

------------------------------------------
Somethings come from nothing, nothing seems to come from somethings - SFA - Guerilla

roycrom :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back