Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set target for 'My Documents' at logon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2002
GB
Hi All,

We have some 2000 Machines that are being introduced into an NT4 domain,

At logon, the U: is assigned to the users homedrive \\servername\homedrives$\%username%

How do I make the "My Documents" folder target this either by pointing it at U: or at the UNC address for their homedrive?

All users use the same mandatory profile but have individual Homedrives.

We have tried setting the target manually to U: and then setting it in the Mandatory profile, but when you logon it reverts back to c:\documents & settings etc. etc.)

We have also tried setting it in the registry, but the same thing happens.

Ideally we would like to set the target from the logon script.... Anyone got any Ideas?
--

Dash
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every Minute!!!!!"

i think you will have to set the profile back to .dat put the home directory setting in then set it back to .Man

Funny how I came across this deal yesterday. I haven't tried it or looked around for a better way to do i.e. set it up as a runonce reg merge etc. But it appears doable and all you really need is the way to incoporate it into your world.

You can redirect the My Documents folder to another location such as a network share. Here’s a script that edits the registry to move the My Documents, the My Pictures, and the Favorites folder.
Save the following script in a text file called Redirect.inf (use Notepad). Change PERSONAL, PICTURES, AND FAVORITES to the paths you want to use for the My Documents, My Pictures, and Favorites folders.

[Version]
Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=Reg.Settings

[Reg.Settings] HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders,Personal,0x20000,"%PERSONAL%"
HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders,My Pictures,0x20000,"%PICTURES%"

HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders,favorites,0x20000,"%FAVORITES%"

[Strings]
PERSONAL = "\\Server\Share\%USERNAME%\My Documents"
PICTURES = "\\Server\Share\%USERNAME%\My Documents\My Pictures"
FAVORITES = "\\Server\Share\%USERNAME%\Favorites"

Right-click Redirect.inf, and then click Install.

"Its the least I could do and thats why I did it."

You can also use tweakui to change locations.

Thanks for the replys & sorry I havn't replyed sooner.....
Ive been insanely busy :-/

Ive actually managed to get the target of U: to stick....
The reason it wasn't working before is that one of the users I was logging in as to create the Mandatory profile had its homedrive set as H: instead of U:

I'd been faffing around with it for about 3 hours along with some other stuff when I realised... I was about ready to murder the guy who creates all the users on that site :)

For anyone else who would like to do it, its done like this:

Login as the user you use to edit your Mandatory profile
r-click 'my documents' and set the target to U:
Log out and log back in as a domain admin
Upload the profile as normal, set permissions to everyone and rename ntuser.dat to .man

Thanks to the ppl who replyed, I really apreciate it ;)

--

Dash
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every Minute!!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back