Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

set permissions for forms/functions/users

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorirobn

MIS
Mar 15, 2005
US
Hi,

(I just posted this in Access Forms forum, too).

I have a database with multiple users. A new function just got added to the db that will have a different set of users. I would like to set up security and permissions for users and/or types of users, but am not sure how to go about it.

On the switchboard form, I would like to show different command buttons based on user or group (not sure which). There will be a main core of buttons, but some users (like managers) may have more buttons to access (like update forms).

Depending on user or group (again, not sure which), some will be able to update all forms, others read-only access on all forms, others update on forms only of their subfunction. (I have read that read-only access can create problems, like on auto-number fields or date/time fields).

I am using an Access Front End, with an SQL server backend. Should I use MS SQL security? Within MS SQL (Enterprise manager), do I set permission by Users, do I set permission by Roles, or do I set permissions by the File Server's logins and not in my individual database?

For example, my File Server has logins M5555/jsmith, M5555/tjones, M5555/mstone.
My database has Users jsmith, tjones, mstone.
My database has Roles db_datareader, db_datawriter, db_owner (and some others), along with some Roles I set up: Manager, public, and ReadOnlyUser.

Which ones do I use and how do I use them to set permissions on individual forms and functions?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Lorirobn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back