Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set password, lost files

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerShaman

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2005
US
Hello,

a client just called me and explained that an administrator set his password while he was on vacation so they could get into his files. Well, all his files are lost. I know there is a message that says you may lose all data when setting the password for a user account already created, but the administrator must have ignored it.

Is there we can retrieve his files?

(Windows XP SP2)

ComputerShaman

Can he logon to the new password account and reset his password back to what it was?

Are the files still on the machine but inaccessible or have they vanished completely?

Are they now in the Administrator's own account?

What backups are available?

As you say if a user with a computer administrator account changes the password for another user, that user will lose all EFS-encrypted files, personal certificates, and stored passwords for Web sites or network resources.

Were all his files encrypted?

If his user account has not had any disk activity (seems a remote chance) you may find some help with these, but I doubt it.

Data recovery.

Users recycle bin
thread779-744465

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back