Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

set NTP Server or time for hipath 4000 Assistant V6 (Siemens)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get into YaST and set the time date there - are you familiar with that ?

Version 6 system has time and date problem

to set the time temporary solution.

<cha-dbc
BAPPL =
DBAPPL =
ASSEMBLY =
CLASS =
OPMODE =
SYSTEM =
DIMEN =
RESSWUDB =
LOCATION = TESTLAB;

then change the date by command CHA-DATE

<cha-dbc
BAPPL =
DBAPPL =
ASSEMBLY =
CLASS =
OPMODE =
SYSTEM =
DIMEN =
RESSWUDB =
LOCATION = CUSTOMER;

Once you change the location to testlab, it's exe-date, not cha-date, if you want to set a separate date and time in the ADP. Make sure to set the last parameter to NOSYNC, otherwise the ADP will still get the (wrong) date from the 4k linux platform. But this is just a workaround. For V6 R2.17 there is a procedure to make a permanent correction in the 4k linux platform, afair. I will provide an update once I find it, unless someone else is faster...

To change the time and date and/or add NTP server

1) Go to assistant
2) Base Administration -> Webmin -> Date and Time
3) Go to Portal -> Status -> Lan Overview
4) Check the IP addresses of Node A and Node B
5) Make ssh connection to Assistant, either from Assistant or Putty
6) Then make ssh connection to Node A
ssh -l root <IP Node A>
7) Type: yast
8) You entered GUI. There you go System -> Date and Time -> Change (right bottom side) -> Enter NTP server and Save. Then exit the ssh connection to Node A
9) Repeat steps 6 to 9 for Node B too.
10) Connect to expert mode and do REG-DATE;
11) Then Copy - Paste the output of Reg-date.

And the time should be synchronous and correct now.

For Symplex you can use the same action plan but only for one node.

I don't think is the date bug from 2016 because the V6 PLT is V6 R2.17.2, and that contained the fix for that bug. So you don't need the cha-dbc, exec-date etc.

So you should have the NTP server configured (through yast) as it's mandatory for 4K.

But if the time is always wrong on a reboot, I would set it right in the hardware clock.

You can set the time in a ssh window to both servers with the date command, and then set it with hwclock

So from ssh to platform

date -s "29 JAN 2020 10:50:00"
hwclock -w

Then at least on a reboot it's not tits up.

Moriendi - you are right, also, if it were the date bug, the year should be 2014 -not 2012- and only on the ADP&SWU, not in Assistant. The exe-date workaround still makes sense imo in this case to have a correct date on the phones and in charging records. Of course, setting an NTP server is mandatory. But if the date always resets with restart of DSCXL2, maybe it is a problem with CMOS battery?

I think the CMOS battery wouldn't really be an issue unless you actually power down the system or processor board. If the board never loses power I *assume* the battery wouldn't be an issue.

It's been a few years cince I was poking around in Yast, but in addition to setting the IP address or URL of the NTP server is it possible it also needs to be "enabled"? In our case we have an NTP server on our network that is updated off one from Cisco, but there are national/government NTP servers out there that can also be used for the purpose.

Don Bruechert, Voice Comm Analyst II
CareTech Solutions @ Holy Family Memorial
Manitowoc, WI, USA

As you asked a question Don, I will offer an answer. I would say it's not possible it needs to be enabled. If the NTP is configured, by default the 4K will use it, unless there's been the exec-date and NOSYNC change as George mentions above. At least, that's true for the RMX. The platform OS would use it. The only issue I ever have with NTP is the dispersion parameter needs a tweak or the OS will ignore the NTP reply from the server.. edited either by tos field in ntp.conf or if the server is a Windows box you can change it in the windows registry. If wireshark shows you have received an NTP reply but the 4K is ignoring it, for me tos/dispersion edit has always resolved.

Hard to say what's going on, from the original post. I would push a good time and date into the OS and the hwclock like I mentioned, and then try some restarts/reloads, see what it did. I wouldn't expect it to be battery if the processors weren't powered down, but as Sherlock Holmes said...If you have eliminated the impossible, then what remains....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back