Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set Field Script Step

Status
Not open for further replies.

etalentweb

Technical User
Jun 14, 2006
US
I think I want to use the Set Field script step. Here is what I want to do. It's really very simple.

I've got table [Join], which has the following fields:
[WellId]
[OwnerId]
[InterestId]
[InterestType]
[ProductionMonth]
[Year]

In a related table, [Owners], are the following fields:
[GasPrice]
[TaxRate]

In another related table, [Wells], is field [McfId]

My layout, "Data Entry," is based on table [Join]. I have value lists to populate all of the fields, and that works great, but I need to automate... (rhyme not intentional smiley-laughing)

Here is what I want to do with layout "Data Entry" :

0. Click a button to create a new record in table [Join]

1. Click the [WellId] field. A drop down list appears.

2. Choose a value.

3. Based on the values of the last [Join] table record where the value of [WellId] was the same as that selected in #2, the following fields are populated:
[Join].[WellId]
[Join].[OwnerId]
[Join].[InterestId]
[Join].[InterestType]
[Join].[Year]
[Owners].[GasPrice]
[Owners].[TaxRate]

4. Enter a value for [Join].[ProductionMonth]

-----------------------------
The two other tables, [Wells] and [Owners], both have one to many relationships with table [Join], where [Join] is on the one side, and records can be added both ways for all three tables.

Here is what I'm worried about: I don't want to create new records in tables [Wells] and [Owners] when I touch fields [Owners].[GasPrice], [Owners].[TaxRate], and [Wells].[McfId]. I want to create new records in table [Join], but not in tables [Owners] and [Wells]. I just want to set values in existing records in the realted tables, not create new records.

Please let me clarify if necessary. My database is at " In the referenced version, not all of the fields work on layout "Data Entry," but my explanation provides what I want it to do. I just had to get something out, so I could get help on it. I'll make all of the fields work on layout "Data Entry" if you have to have that. I just didn't go back and make all of the fields work, because I want them all to be automated in the end anyway.

THANKS! ! ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back