Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set DNS for Clients via Group Policy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbruce66

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2002
US
Hi,

We have 130 pc's on a 2003 domain and need to add a second dns entry in the Windows XP network seetings. I am sure this can be done via group policy. Anyone know how to do this.

Thanks,
Scott

Configure this via the "006 DNS Servers" option on your DHCP server.

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Yes you can.

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates
> Network > DNS Client

DNS Servers is the node you want to edit.

However, if you are using DHCP to obtain IP addresses it's best to set them in there.

If you aren't using DHCP, you really should. It can be combined with NAP to secure your hosts down if security is what you are going for.

I am looking for the path you specified below however can't find it under group policy. Do you mean Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > DNS Client . DNS Servers. I did this and none of the computers pickedup the change. We are using static IP's not dhcp and I performed the change under a OU. Should I do this under the default domain policy or somewhere else. Our main reason for doing this is we just added a secondary domain and dns and I want to add the second dns ip to all the clients for failover.

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Network > DNS Client

Thanks,
Scott

Do a "gpresult /r" on one of the client computers and see if it's getting applied. It's possible you have that policy filtered out or such.

Hi Joe,

We have static ips not running DHCP.

Scott

OK, tried doing the gpresult /r and I recieved an error. Ran gpresult /r and their is no /r flag in the help menue.

Scott

I think on older windows versions you don't need the /r flag. Basically you want to see the output and verify that the policy you modified is getting applied to the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back