Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set Datasource Location still referencing old table name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
This has been an ongoing issue for years. I use CR Adv 9.0. If I have a report that previously used a stored procedure that I need to use a view or a table or visa versa, I use the Set Datasource Location and re-map the fields. This save time as I don't lose the format on the report and don't have to re-add fields to the report or get errors in formulas etc.

what is annoying is that the sql query and ALL the formulas etc still show as the old location ie oldtablename.field etc. Why does it not update all the fields/references on the report to the new table name? How do I change it?

If I had a issue with performance, I typically take the sql query and run it in sql to see if it's a sql optimization issue or crystal just being slow, but because it doesn't update, I have to manually change the table names to the new ones.

I have not tried this with an SQL query, but normally the 'Verify Database' (Database menu item, Verify Databae) will go out and check for any changes to the database table/field structure.

I hope this helps.

It does but it's still keeping some internal crystal "Mapping" as the query still shows the old table name.

If I'm remembering correctly the names don't get updated, even though your set datasource location worked. You might want to do a search to see if you can verify this.

-LB

Hi,
LB is correct, CR has always behaved that way - it,I imagine, was done to prevent having to modify every object
( formula,link,formatting code based on the data, etc) used in the report to reflect the new datasource name - for a complex report that could take a very long time and not be practical.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

The report retains the original name. When you remap it effectively aliases the new table name with the old table name. If you want to change the alias go to

Database->database expert.

In right hand pane right click the table name and select rename. Yiou can now enter the new table name.

Ian

You'd think the "verify" or mapping part would actually run an internal script on the report itself to update everything. To the naked eye, if a person is looking at a report and looks to see what tables etc are used, unless they verify the database location properties of each one, you really don't know what is really used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back