Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set administrator passwoerd after server setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tershia

Technical User
Mar 26, 2001
GB
Hi

I have a server that didn't have its administrator password set during setup. Is there anyway of setting a password after setup as the administrator password is blank at the moment.

Thanks

hutty,

Yah sure. Are you running W2K Server/Advanced Server? If so, there are a couple of ways to do this.

First, if you are running it in a workgroup, go to Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Local Users and Groups and right-click on Administrators/Set Password.

If the server is part of a domain (either a DC or a member server), then you need to go into the AD Users and Computers MMC and select the Administrators account and set its password as described above using the right-click.

Let me know if this helps!

Matt A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Acheiver with Security Emphasis

Be careful changing the Administrator password....you need to do it, but be aware that that password affects other things. When I changed the Administrator password on the server, I also had to change it in other places. They were:

in Services - MSSQLSERVER service and SQLSERVERAGENT service
in Active Directory Users and Computers > Users - Administrator login for the domain
in Enterprise Manager > Security > Logins - Administrator login for the database (there should be a user with the login name of <domain>/Administrator)

Another password to change (if you haven't done so already) is the sa password on the database. The default sa password is blank. It only needs to be changed in Enterprise Manager > Security > Logins.

-Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back