Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Set a password

Status
Not open for further replies.

cts123

Technical User
Feb 28, 2007
IN
Hi,

While setting a password for a user through smitty. It takes the password and when the user logged into the server, it takes that password but ask to put new password immediately.

If I want to change a password for a user from command line ( without knowing old password), hope it works for
AIX 5.3 like :-

# chpasswd user1:passwd1 and then ^D

How can I do the same steps, for lowwer version of AIX ( for 4.3.3 or 5.1). Any idea ?

Regards,

Sam

Code:
 passwd <username>
And, if required
Code:
pwdadm -c <username>
will stop the user from having to change the password at next login.

On a more general note, a good way to learn AIX is to use SMIT for the first instance and then look through the smit.log to see how it did it. Then use
Code:
man <command name>
for more details.

Ceci n'est pas une signature
Columb Healy

Thanks Columb,

But I found another way.
If I do passwd <user_name> as root
It ask me to change the passwd.

When that user does log-in to the server, it ask to change the password at very beginning.

So to avoid that I can do this :-

# passwd <user_name> --> Put new passwd

# pwdadm -f NOCHECK <user_name>

Its working in my case.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Sam

Sam,
If you want to go a little deeper and learn a little more about what certain files are used for you can edit the /etc/security/passwd file and remove the 'ADMCHG' flag that is registered against the user when you set their password, only if your confident enough though !
cheers
Benno

...it really does get worse than this !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back