Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sessionState mode="StateServer" vs. "InProc"

Status
Not open for further replies.

memberFDIC

Programmer
Jan 22, 2009
US

I have a Windows 2000 Server (SP4) with .NET Framework 1.1 (with hotfixes) installed, along with .NET Framework 2

I have a Delphi .DLL that interfaces with several .aspx files as part of a member database. Each .aspx file contains categorized properties about members. The first page is named profile1.aspx, the second page profile2.aspx and so forth. NEXT and PREVIOUS buttons allow the user to move back and forth.

For some unknown reason, the session state was being lost as the member/user clicked the NEXT and PREVIOUS buttons. My web.config file contained the following lines:

<sessionState
mode="InProc"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;user id=sa;password="
cookieless="false"
timeout="20"
/>

Out of desperation we changed the mode from "InProc" to "StateServer" and then turned ON the "ASP.NET State Service" from within the Services MMC snap-in. After making this change, the session state is preserved between pages.

Might anyone know why session state would always be lost as the user moved from .aspx to .aspx page?

And 'yes' we do have the Application > App Options > Application Configuration > Enable Session State ENABLED within the web site's properties within IIS 5 (with session timeout of 20 minutes).

Does this happen on your development machine? Are your servers on a web farm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back